Because it is difficult to focus on implementing several practices all at once, you may wish to use this checklist to put items in order of importance or urgency as you begin to plan your employer-of-choice strategy.
The following checklist is adapted from The 7 Hidden Reasons Employees Leave: How to Recognize the Subtle Signs and Act Before It’s Too Late. Copyright © 2012 Leigh Branham. Published by AMACOM Books, a division of American Management Association, New York, NY. Used with permission. All rights reserved.
To Match Candidates’ Expectations With Work Realities
- Conduct realistic job previews with every job candidate.
- Hire from the pool of temp, adjunct staff, interns, and part-time workers.
- Hire candidates referred by current employees.
- Create a realistic job description with a short list of the most critical competencies.
- Allow team members to interview candidates.
- Hire from the pool of current employees.
- Create a way for candidates to “sample” the work experience.
- Survey or interview new hires to find out how to minimize new-hire surprises in the future.